Sunday, March 6, 2011

Long weekend Wrap-Up

Jeremy and I started our weekend a little early this past week, on Thursday morning. I woke up early Thursday morning and drove Owen to Katy to stay with Papi and Kiss and Jeremy and I boarded a plane to Canadian, Texas.... I have to admit, after getting a little taste of the 'convenient way to fly'.. I have a strong 'dislike' for commercial flying now :)- haha! It was so convenient- no plastic bags, no lines, no "seats forward, mam"... no security! Ive only flown on a private jet one other time and that was for work... Only now do I really understand how convenient a private plane could be with children :).. We did not have Owen with us, but it was almost such a shame that we didn't because that my friends is how you fly with a baby! Convenience at its best- just a small price tag for such great comfort :)!





We visited Canadian, Texas. Population: 3266. Location: top right corner of the Texas panhandle. Terrain: beautiful rolling hills and windy. The town is conservative but civically progressive.
They have an excellent education program (A sidenote: 2 out of the 2010 graduation class of 45 students last year went to Harvard University). They have an active art museum, touring music festivals and a very big fourth of July parade. It is a dry county but they are about to start their 'club membership' at the local steak house, Cattle Exchange (they have a tasty Large Cut Ribeye).

We had beautiful weather and the people in this small town are all so kind and hospitable. The town is spotless. There is not a piece of trash anywhere- you can see how much pride these people take in their town and it really makes a big difference. Im looking forward to taking Owen with us next time so he can pick apples, pears, strawberries, grapes and ride around on the ranch with us. The fishing is supposed to be pretty incredible as well. We didnt catch much, but the water was a little bit too cold.. we needed another couple of weeks.

Here are a few pictures from our night in Canadian...


Here is a refurbished 'fountain'- I enjoyed a delicious coke float!



We headed out to Salem's orchards where they are growing all sorts of fruit trees and they just started installing their strawberry farm... mmmm!




After touring the grounds we jumped on our own four wheelers and had a blast...





Now... to probably the coolest part of the trip- shooting guns... I never knew I loved shooting a hand gun and I never knew I was as good of a shot as I was- I surprised myself... Plus, we had some really awesome targets to shoot!







My mom drove into Houston on Friday morning to visit us for the weekend and we LOVED having Lotte here! There really is nothing like having your mother around to help out. She not only watches, entertains and takes care of Owen for me but she also cleans and makes me coffee in the morning and breakfast and lunch :) I miss having my mom around to cook for me and clean for me- haha. Saturday evening Jeremy and I were invited to the Museum of Natural Science's annual gala by our friends the Leonards. We have children around the same age as Brian and Katie and I can't wait to meet their daughter, Abigail, aka Abby (this is one of my favorite girl names).
The party theme was 'To The Moon and Back'- hence the NASA space suit in the photo- it was a fun night and it was so fun getting dressed up for it... It kind of felt like prom getting ready at your house with your mom there- I guess the big difference is I am leaving with my husband and my mom is staying at home watching my son- very different from my prom :)



This afternoon, Jeremy and I took Owen for his first bike ride through the neighborhood and to Rice Village for some lunch...Owen loved it!




We are heading to a family friends' house today for a bar-b-que- Cant wait to see the Fords! I can't wait to see Ryan and Kate's twin girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment