Saturday, April 24, 2010

Got 'em, neighbor - Barkdull Thief Captured!

So last night Jeremy and I had an uninvited guest at our house... If you aren't familiar with the story yet- Jeremy and I have had a series of break-ins that started about a year ago. Our outdoor plasma that hangs outside on the upstairs deck went missing and then we had a break-in with our guest bedroom television stolen along with our Wii, PS3, all the games we had ( probably about 40- Jeremy likes video games) and all the controllers (including our 4 wheels for Mario Kart, which was my only and FAVORITE game to play)... Then we had surveillance cameras installed and about a month later we caught the theif on camera a third time wearing a scream mask and a jester hat breaking into the house stealing another TV (that replaced the previous stolen one)- we watched him carry it out and figured out that we he was climnbing over our 10 feet fence in the back yard behind the pool...And then we had a final break in where he stole a brand new MAC powerbook and another PS3. SERIAL THIEF. We were his own personal ATM machine.

These break-ins were over the course of about 6 months... and that was the last time he robbed us, October of 09. Since then Jeremy and I have been in town with the exception of 2 trips, one to Belize (where we had 3 undercover cops steak out the neighborhood and house while we were out of town, and one cop stayed inside our house for 3 entire days hoping to catch this guy)- but there was no action... We left town in February for a trip to London, where we had my friend Rachel house sit.... nothing happened then... since then, we have been grounded and at home and nothing has gone missing until last night....

Jeremy and I were sound asleep when Jeremy woke up (around 2am) and I must have woken up at the same time, not sure why and he asked me if I heard anything, and I said no, I had not heard anything that I could remember. So we went back to sleep... about 20 minutes later I woke up to the sound of what sounded like tennis shoes in the dryer... and I woke Jeremy up.... fast forwarding to this morning when we watched our surveillance tapes- this is what went down. .
The guy came at 2am and launched a rock through one of our HUGE 45'' x 100'' ft glass sliding doors and ran away... We obviously didnt come downstairs or turn on any lights (this must have been when Jeremy woke up) So, about 20 minutes later he came back, assuming we were not here we think, and broke the glass down and busted it in so that he could fit through ( this is when I woke up I think)... (And before you ask, yes, we have an alarm system... and YES, it SHOULD have gone off...and NO it did not. We are having that thing removed and a new company and new system put in ASAP).
The guy was so messed up and high on prescription meds (that were found in his car by the cops) that he was fumbling around inside over the course of about 10 minutes...

Jeremy and I were upstairs in the meantime on the phone with the police during this. The guy tried to make out with a Mac laptop and PS3... He was so high that was all he was able to make out with over the course of 10 minutes! He made it over our back fence ( where we watched him climb from the window of our master bedroom upstairs while we were on the phone with the police)... but he was so messed up that he was fumbling around and it took him about a minute or two to get over... by that time Jeremy had run out of the house and the cops had shown up and swung around to the back and caught him.... they found his 2 year old nephew in the front seat of his car. . .

This was a idiot meth head/ druggie from Sugarland - while we do have an idea of his connection to our house- we cant be for sure, but we are sure that this is the same guy who has been at our house before. According to the cop, he will be charged with burglary, which is a second degree felony- sentencing is 2-20 yrs in a state prison... but since we have surveillance on our previous break in and the cops found receipts for pawn shops- there is further investigation going on... and hopefully, he will go away for longer and be charged with our previous burglary(ies)

While it is unfortunate that we had to go through this, and I NEVER want to be in this situation again... I am so glad we caught him- this has been a frustrating situation and before you ask, YES, we are getting a shotgun... My dads on that for us:)

My fear now is that I will actually use it- since I actually know how...growing up on a ranch, I have used a gun before. Its a pretty scary feeling to be in your house knowing there is a thief downstairs and you just have to wait for the police. So... new alarm system, check... shotgun, check.

(PS... this guy had 14 outstanding warrants in Harris County and a extensive burglary record.)

Here is a photo of what we woke up to...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! Linsay--so glad you caught this guy. So scary!

    ReplyDelete