Monday, May 3, 2010

{Owen} Our young warrior

I am obviously starting to twiddle my thumbs waiting for Owen to get here...3 weeks, 6 days and counting...

I was in our study and came across a baby name book that was given to us and looked up our sons name. I thought I would provide you guys with a little background into Owen's name and what it means.

'OWEN"
a welsh/gaelic name, meaning 'young warrior,' 'well born' and 'youthful.' It is most commonly used in English and Welsh speaking countries.

The modern form Owain, is generally considered to derive from Latin Eugenius "well-born". The Irish name Eoghan may also appear anglicized as Owen but has a different origin.

Owen Tudor was the grandfather of English king Henry VII. He caused a scandal by marrying widowed English queen Catherine of Valois.

Suggested possible sibling names are:
Brothers: Evan, Ethan, Noah, Liam, Aidan, Ryan, Gavin and Wyatt.
Sisters: Olivia, Emma, Ella, Ava, Emily, Claire, Grace, Hannah, Lily and Avery.



I thought this was interesting and wanted to share it. Things are going well on the baby/pregnancy front- my stomach continues to defy gravity and stick out more and more in front of me- it really is truly amazing how this happens! I go to the doctor tomorrow and we will get a little more information on where we are with everything right now. . . I am really looking forward to that!

I was messing around in the nursery this morning and took this picture ( I made the bed but still have to wash the sheets before Owen gets here)- but can you pick out the real animal... vs the stuffed animals? I think I had a stuffed animal when I was little that used to look exactly like Tate. He loved the crib and didn't want to get out. . . uh-oh.



One of my favorite parts of the nursery... I just love this giraffe that Owen's grandmother, 'Lotte' (my mom), gave him:



Here is a picture of the dresser that finally came in on Friday. I was so excited to organize everything and get all of Owen's stuff off of the floor! As you can see in the photo below, there are 5 canvases with unique designs on each...(there will be 6, but Nona has not finished the background on hers yet) a brief description of what this is ( Ill give a broader one in a few days once I hang them all and can give you more photos once the nursery is complete):
I bought 6 canvases, tons of acrylics and paintbrushes and asked the grandparents to each paint whatever they wanted on this canvas. I wanted to do something unique for Owen and something that he will be able to keep when he is older. Owen's god-mother, Colby, had this great idea and I ran with it! So, each of the grandparents painted their own canvas- there were no restrictions on colors or designs or themes... I wanted each grandparent to paint whatever they wanted- and so they did. Each work is so unique and so special. They all wrote their 'grandparent' name on the piece of art as well... they turned out perfect. Grandy, Lotte, Nona, Boysh, Kiss and Papi- thank you- Owen is going to love these... and you never know, these may get passed down to his kids- but this will definitely be something I am sure to hold on to for him. Such a special and unique gift! Owen is one lucky baby to have such a warm, loving and big family to welcome him... Jeremy and I are lucky too!
Details and close-up shots of each to come soon... until then- here you go.

2 comments:

  1. Love, love this post! I love all of the brother/sister names associated with "Owen" and I'm obsessed with the grandparent artwork. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks KC! I cant wait to hang them- they are really great.... I was so happy I did that instead of buying some generic art work that would have no meaning in a couple years when its replaced by Legos or dinosaurs or something else Owen will be obsessed with!
    I think it would be pretty cool to have something like this from my grandparents today... ha!

    ReplyDelete